Combat "I'm bored" with a simple book of records. Get a binder and create a list of records to challenge the children in your after school program. Set the binder out so that kids can see what records they can attempt. Below is are a few ideas to get you started.
Construction Records for Kids
- Tallest Cup Tower - Buy a few stacks of cheap cups and challenge kids to build the tallest tower!
- Largest Wooden Block Structure - Use the blocks you have and challenge kids to build the tallest structure.
- Longest Successful Marble Run - Marble runs are a fun engineering toy, take that critical thinking to the next level by challenging kids to create the longest marble run in your programs history!
- Longest Successful Domino Train - A Domino train is a fun way to keep busy, take this pastime and add another level of challenge, who can make the longest successful domino chain?
- Tallest Lego Tower - You are bound to have a few Legos sitting around your program. Get them out and challenge kids to build a tower. Can they build one taller than them?
- Largest House of Cards - This one takes some hand eye-coordination and a steady hand. Challenge kids to build a house of cards using only the cards, no tape or glue.
Crafting Record for Kids
- Longest Finger Knit - running low on loom bands? How about yarn. Challenge kids to create the longest finger knit rope in your programs history!
- Longest paper Snake - Get the construction paper and glue out, and challenge kids to make the longest paper snake.
- Longest Loom band - using a loom or fingers challenge kids to create the longest loom band rope!
- Fastest creation of a paper airplane - Get the stopwatch out...ready, set, fold. Challenge kids to make the fastest paper airplane the will fly 10 feet.
- Longest hovering paper helicopter - Calling all engineers! Take a simple project like paper helicopters and challenge kids to alter the copter to hover for the longest amount of time.
- Longest Paper Chain - How about a simple paper chain. Challenge kids to set the record the the longest paper chain
Physical Challenge Records for Kids
- Longest Hang Time - Head to the monkey bars and see who can hang the longest. How long is it going to be 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?!
- Longest Headstand - Get some mats out and assign a few spotters. Get kids working their coordination skills by challenging them to do the longest headstand.
- Longest Time standing on one foot - Test kids physical endurance by challenging them set a record and see how long they can stand on one foot (no switching feet!)
- Longest Time Jump Roping - Get the jump ropes out and challenge kids to jump rope the longest without missing a jump.
- Most Consecutive cartwheels - This record could get kids a bit dizzy. Challenge kids to see how many cartwheels they can do in a row without stopping!
- Longest hula hoop - How about some hula hooping, how long can one person hula without the hoop falling to the ground?
- Fastest Time Speed Stack - If you have speed stack cups, your kid probably already do this. Get out the cups and a stopwatch, time people to see who can un-stack and re-stack the cups the fastest.
- Longest Time Balancing a broom on one hand - I know you have a broom in your program. Grab it and challenge kids to balance the broom handle side down in the center of their hand.
- Longest Floss Dance - I know they already do this dance, challenge them to do it the longest without stopping.
- Longest T-Pose hold - The T-pose hold is sure to test kids muscle endurance. Challenge kids to hold the pose as long as they can.
Sports Records for Kids
- Most Baskets in One Minute - Head to the gym or the blacktop to see who can make the most baskets in one minute.
- Most baskets made in a row - How about most baskets without missing in a row.
- Farthest football punt - If you have a large measuring tape, or way to measure long distance; challenge kids to punt a football the farthest
- Longest Game of Catch - How long can two people toss a ball back and forth before throwing in the towel?
- Fastest 100 meter dash - Grab a stop watch and set up a 100 meter race track. Time kids to see who is the fastest at your program.
- Longest soccer ball juggle - Have some soccer players? See how long they can juggle a ball with their feet
Group Records for Kids
- Longest group silent game - challenge kids to see how long they can stay go without speaking.
- Longest game of “don’t let the balloon touch the ground” - Get out a balloon and ask kids to see how long they can keep it in the air by only bopping it.
- Fastest 100 meter wheelbarrow race - Team up participants and see who can complete a 100 meter wheelbarrow race the fastest
- Most people eating broccoli at one time - Have some produce left over? Set the record for the most people eating broccoli at one time!
- Longest game of leapfrog - See who can keep up a game of leap frog without stopping.
- Largest group Macarena - Put on some classic 90's music and get the largest group of people doing the Macarena!
You may like these similar activities