Stained Glass Craft for Kids
This color blending activity creates a beautiful stained glass craft and provides a perfect art project for old crayons.
- Tear off a sheet of wax paper for each child. The sheet should be at least 6 inches long.
- (Optional) Peel the wrapper off the old crayons. This will make the process easier for the kids.
- Give each child a piece of wax paper.
- Put the crayons and shaving tools in the center of the craft space.
- Demonstrate to child the correct way to shave the crayon without harming themselves.
- After you are certain kids understand the safety measures of this activity allow them to start shaving the crayons on to the wax paper. They will want to use at least two colors to give the project to expected stained glass look. Ask them to fill as much of the wax paper as possible.
- As kids finish the shaving, warm up the iron in a safe unexposed location.
- When the iron is warm, take another piece of wax paper (the same size or larger) and place it over the original wax paper and the crayon shavings. Apply slight pressure and swipe the iron across the craft. The colors should melt and blend together quickly. If you leave the iron on to long the colors may mix together to much and the project will become one color.
- Allow the project to cool
- After the stained glass craft wax paper is cooled trim the edges to get rid of any areas the crayons did not touch.
- Use construction paper to create a frame for your stained glass art.
- Display your project in a sunny window to get the full stained glass effect.
You make like these similar Activities: